Are you being evicted?
Do you know your rights as a tenant?
Do you need help negotiating with your landlord?

CAAS' Housing Advocacy Program (HAP) provides a wide range of services to low-income individuals at risk of homelessness, including preventing evictions through advocacy with landlords and in district court and maximizing income by improving access to public benefits. Case management targeting the root causes of housing affordability helps prevent future crises. HAP serves Somerville residents with incomes up to 80% of area median income (AMI).


Eviction Prevention

Are you facing an eviction? We can help you! HAP assists Somerville residents who are facing eviction from their homes. Advocates provide information, assist clients in preparing for court, and pursue resources to help clients stay in their homes.


Housing Advocacy

HAP assists residents in the application process for emergency public housing. HAP assists Somerville residents in asserting their rights as tenants to reside in a safe home through advocacy with landlords and city agencies.


Answer and Discovery Clinic

HAP can assist with filling out Answer and Discovery pleadings prior to your eviction court date. Please call us if you have received a summons from court for an eviction.


Benefits Advocacy

HAP assists Somerville residents in applying for public benefits and in situations where their public benefits have been terminated or reduced. HAP helps advocate with agencies such as MASSHealth and the Department of Transitional Assistance to apply, reinstate, and maximize benefits (SNAP, WIC, SSI, etc.). In some situations, HAP can help appeal denials of benefits.


Utilities Advocacy

HAP assists Somerville residents who are at imminent risk of having their utilities (heat, gas, electric) shut off or have already experienced a shut-off. Advocates can assist clients in applying for Safelink (a free government cell phone program). Advocates can help residents restore and maintain their utilities and get on track to reduce their utilities bills.




For assistance, use the form below, or Contact Us by phone, or visit our office in Union Square:

Name *