CAAS plays a central role in the community by working with other agencies and organizations in Somerville to coordinate programming and services for low income families and individuals. At CAAS, we offer Head Start, Homelessness Prevention Program, and the Community Outreach Program. Programs are administered at the CAAS main office, 66-70 Union Square in Somerville. For directions to the CAAS office or to its Head Start classrooms in Somerville and Cambridge, please see the Contact page.
The Head Start Program is a free pre-school program that supports the learning and development of children from ages 3 to 5 in classrooms located throughout the cities of Somerville and Cambridge with full-day and part-day options. CAAS Head Start promotes the school readiness of young children.
CAAS Head Start provides comprehensive services for children and families and follows the National Head Start Program Performance Standards. Head Start is a free program for all income eligible families with priority enrollment for children in foster care, children with disabilities, and children whose families are homeless.
Homelessness Prevention Program
The Homelessness Prevention Program of Somerville (HPP) helps eligible clients residing in public, subsidized, and private housing by:
- Educating tenants about their legal rights
- Navigating summary process and termination notices
- Mediating and negotiating with landlords, local housing authorities and resolving benefit disputes
- Aiding clients applying for subsidized housing
- Advocating for clients facing utility shutoffs and other utility-related issues
- Collaborating with community partners and government agencies, such as the City of Somerville
- Partnering with the Cambridge and Somerville Welfare and Housing Coalition
- Helping clients to get access to benefits (e.g. SNAP, TAFDC, MassHealth, Social Security, RIDE)
Our community outreach work takes a systemic approach to advancing CAAS' mission. We engage CAAS families in collectively pushing for social change through anti-poverty issue based campaign work that shifts public policy in Somerville.
Call CAAS at (617) 623-7370, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.